When Child Protective Services Calls or Knocks On Your Door, What Do You Do?

Child Protective Services (“CPS”) plays a vital roll in the protection of children. However, an angry spouse, a mad ex, a vengeful family member, and others may try to use CPS as a weapon against you. Even a simple mistake or case of mistaken identity can result in a CPS investigation. When CPS calls or knocks on your door and just “wants to talk”, what do you do?

Call Attorney Greg Whitten first. Remember, CPS is an agency of the State of Texas, just like the police or the sheriff. Anything you say “can and will be used against you in a court of law” when you talk with CPS. We have seen situations where good people, tried to cooperate and “explain” something that happened, and later ended up being charged with felony crimes and/or who lost custody of their children, whereas if they first spoke with a lawyer who was experienced in CPS investigations, nothing likely would have happened!

If CPS has contacted you and you have given a statement, don’t worry we can still help you. Whether the CPS referral is for physical abuse, neglect, sexual abuse, or emotional abuse, we can represent you and guide you through this process with care, understanding, and aggressive representation to protect you and your family.

At the Law Office of Greg Whitten, we know where the potential pitfalls are with CPS investigations, and we know how to approach these cases to protect your children and you. To schedule an appointment with Attorney Greg Whitten, call 972-632-3662 or contact us online.

Signs of Child Abuse or Neglect

  • Frequent injuries, including bruises and burns
  • Aggressive behavior
  • Passive, emotionless behavior
  • Fear of being with the parents
  • Clothing that is intended to hide injuries
  • Malnutrition
  • Uncleanliness
  • Parents frequently leaving the child unattended
  • Frequent absences or tardies from school
  • Fear of being alone with adults of a certain gender
  • Inappropriate sexual comments or victimizing other children
  • Low self-esteem
  • Depression
  • Difficulty making friends

If your child is experiencing these issues it does not mean there is abuse or neglect of course. But if you see these, and others, and you have been wondered if the child is ok, you should at least talk with a counselor, pediatrician, or school teacher about your concerns. Each of those is required to report child abuse or neglect.

Do You Have Questions About Child Protective Services? Contact Us.

If you are concerned about a child, grandchild or have questions about what can be done to protect a child and would like to visit with a lawyer, call the Law Office of Greg Whitten in Allen, Texas, at 972-632-3662 or contact us online. We serve clients in Collin County and throughout Northeast Texas.